Using a Mini Excavator for the First Time Doesn’t Have to be Daunting
Posted by: Erika Green on January 7, 2017
A mini excavator can be a daunting piece of equipment. Let’s be honest: the size of the cab alone is enough to make you worry about accidentally ruining your yard or knocking down your garage. In fact, a mini excavator can seem like it’s made for professional contractors only. But it doesn’t have to be that way.
See, a Kubota mini excavator is actually built for precision, accuracy and more control for the driver (in this case, you.) The controls in the cabin allow the operator to maximize the equipment’s capacity and tackle more jobs at once. You can use it to install a French drain, get ready to install a new driveway or clear out the debris from your yard to get ready for winter. And the projects don’t stop there.
But before you get started with the mini excavator, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Preparation is essential – With equipment like a Kubota mini excavator, you can dig easily and at great depth. But, that’s why you also need to be sure to contact 811 before you even start your project. Don’t put this off – jobsites can become dangerous quickly if you aren’t careful.
- Choose a safe jobsite – A mini excavator has grips on its base to make sure it travels well over rocky terrain. But that doesn’t mean you should use it on a sloped or rocky surface. Choose wisely and safely; the jobsite should be stable and level for operating.
- Put safety first – When using this machine, you have a lot of power at your fingertips. Once you’ve connected with 811 and are good to go, it’s crucial to take time to read the owners manual, do a walk through of the equipment with your delivery technician and practice, practice, practice (away from any structures or people, of course.)
- Keep things simple – Select a straightforward project the first time you use a mini excavator. While the machine is versatile and can do several projects in one sitting, keeping your jobsite focused will make things easier for you as you get comfortable with the equipment. You can always add more time to your rental, or projects to your to-do list, once you’re more seasoned.
- Focus on learning one motion at a time – Kubota recommends knowing the pilot controls, functions and lifting capacity before you worry about anything else. While mini excavators can seem tough to operate, because there’s so much to coordinate simultaneously, it’ll definitely get easier once you have the basics down.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help – The Home Depot Rental is always on hand to help with questions. Call us anytime during your project at 1-888-266-7228.
And remember, while a Kubota mini excavator may seem intimidating, with the right practice and the right resources, you’ll be able to take on any job.